Documenting Diaper Need: Kristina’s Story (Washington)

Kristina

Kristina’s story is the result of financial struggles brought about by a serious medical condition. Her family isn’t able to qualify for any kind of assistance until after the baby comes home from the hospital. At that time, they will be loosing an income to allow one parent to stay at home with this beautiful little girl. This story touched our hearts. If you have a stash of diapers that you’d like to share with Kristina, please let me know in the comments and I’ll pass her home address along to you via email. Thanks!

Why is your family experiencing diaper need?
Our daughter was born 8 weeks premature. At the hospital she contracted late onset Strep B, an infection that spread to her spinal fluid and caused meningitis. This destroyed a good amount of her brain tissue and has caused a bunch of other problems. She has had a shunt and feeding tube surgically implanted. Because all of her special needs, one of us will need to stay home with her.

How many children do you have? What are their ages?
Four other children – 12, 15, 17 and 19

Why would access to cloth diapers help you?
This would eliminate one extra cost for us. Our lives have been turned upside down by this experience and we aren’t really sure how everything is going to work out when she gets home. This would help to alleviate one of the many expenses coming our way.

Is there anything else we should know about your story?
After almost three months in the hospital, it looks like Kathryn may be coming home as early as next week. We are looking forward to finally be able to start our lives with her. I’ve been working for the same company for over 10 years and have never found myself in a position where I needed to ask for help. Nothing can prepare you for what we have gone through, we would appreciate any help you can give us during this difficult time.

Comments
17 Responses to “Documenting Diaper Need: Kristina’s Story (Washington)”
  1. I am overwhelmed by the compassion and generosity from each and everyone of you. Kathryn has been home with us for about three weeks now and is doing really well. As of this week, she is up to 9 pounds, 2.5 ounces and is just starting to outgrow all of her newborn clothes. She is thriving now that she is home with her family and it is my prayer that she will continue to do so. She will begin therapy in mid July to assist her with developmental delays associated with her brain injury, and our hopes are high that this will help her overcome many of her challenges. Thank you all for your offer of assistance. All is welcome whether that be in the form of diapers, clothes, or any other necessities associated with a new baby.

God Bless,
    Kristina

2. Cate Leahy says:

I have some econobum diapers and cloth wipes I would love to give. Please send me her address. Thank you.

3. Tarah Helms says:

i have all the baby cloth wipes and burp rags she will need! and 2 extra diapers!!

• Tarah Helms says:

i also have a baby girl who is now 2 months, and i have excellent condition baby clothes i can donate to her! sizes from preme to 0-3 mo.

4. Ruth V. says:

I have some brand new diapers I can spare and I’d love to help. Please send me her address.

5. Do you know how much Kathryn weighs? I have some smaller prefolds I could share. I trifold them in a cover now, but I bought way too many.

6. Kati says:

I have 12 prefolds newborn size(excellent condition)+4 proraps snap covers
    And about 20 prefolds next size up(stained but still in good condition) +prorap snap covers ranging in size from s-l, probably about 4-5 in each size.

Hope you can use them
    Kati

7. I just got a coupon for a free newborn diaper from Cotton Babies and my sweet baby is 3 months old — I will be happy to take that coupon and give it back to Cotton Babies if they would take that diaper and give it to this family??

• Wendy,

That is an in-store only coupon. The warehouse doesn’t have a way to redeem it even if you sent it in.

Are you near a store? Maybe you could redeem it for her and send her the diaper?

I’m sure her baby is tiny and would still fit in the newborn size.

Let me know.

Jenn

8. christine guyott says:

If you have any dollar diapers left over from the sales I would be happy to do a snap conversion for free on anything you have to make them usable.

9. jgolas says:

I had a preemie (12 weeks early) and I am well aware of the cost and care needed for these fragile babies. We had so much support for us and our son, I would like to pay it forward and help, please.

10. I don’t have any extra diapers to donate at this time however, is there a way we can set up a way to donate money to cottonbabies towards the purchase of some CD necessities for her??

11. Tiffany says:

i have 3 newborn diapers I can send her, if that size would be helpful.

12. Amy says:

I have 5 or 6 BG3s I can spare for her.