Cloth Diaper Warranty Fraud is on the Rise

CBL071911_168

I’ve known for years that we were seeing occasional instances of warranty fraud coming into our returns department. Recently though, we have started seeing an increasing pattern of this behavior that we finally decided to mentioned publicly, both for the benefit of consumers who may not know that this behavior is illegal and for the benefit of manufacturers & retailers who may be unknowing participants in illegal activity.

Here are a couple of examples of things we’ve seen:

One woman was buying used diapers on eBay. She called our customer service department, shouting, telling them that her diapers had failed… again. We were spending a great deal of time trying to figure out what was going on with her washing routine before we finally uncovered her scheme. By then, she had sent in over 300 diapers for “replacement” and resold the new product on eBay.

Another woman got over 100 used diapers replaced with the help of a retailer giving her fake receipts. Her “replacement” diapers were then sold on Diaper Swappers.

Another woman, who has since gone to jail for fraud, was stealing product from her local retailers and then sending it to other retailers, including Cotton Babies, for a “refund” or “store credit”. We weren’t responsible for turning her in to the authorities, but she was arrested and eventually went to jail for her crime.

Here’s the deal:

In criminal law, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual. (Wikipedia)

Fraud is illegal. We are paying attention and hope this post increases the attention being paid to this issue by other retailer and manufacturers within in our industry. If you are a consumer and involved in this kind of behavior, please remember that your children watch you. If mommy is stealing, they will too.

Comments
42 Responses to “Cloth Diaper Warranty Fraud is on the Rise”
  1. Cloth Diaper Guru says:

I’m working on a blog post about cloth diaper warranties, and I stumbled upon your blog. How sad that a few individuals are taking advantage of the amazing customer service provided by your company. We own several diapers from your company, and have never experienced any issues with them over two years of use. This is definitely something for other companies and consumers to be aware of: to prevent theft, and to warn individuals about the consequences of theft.

2. It's me says:

I have used the warranty on diapers, and used customer service to determine what I was doing wrong. it is sad to me that people would take advantage of companies that are so nice to their customers and really support them.

3. Mindy says:

Wow. I hope this doesn’t deter manufacturers and stores from offering warranties and returns. It’s frustrating and appalling that anyone would behave this way. I can see why having an original receipt requirement could be the case for all of this in the future.

4. Jessica says:

I can’t believe people would sent this kind of example for their children!! I received a product I had never ordered from CottonBabies and I chose to do the right thing – call and get an RMA number/label to return the product. Theft is not in the realm of things acceptable to myself and I would not want me children to learn from ANYONE that behavior of that manor is acceptable.

5. BB81 says:

Well, and surely if you buy second-hand all you can hope is that the seller has a returns policy. Even if it’s a genuine case, if the previous owner has wrecked the nappies you can’t expect the manufacturer to replace or refund them! Outrageous!

6. Katrina says:

It’s really a shame that one of Cotton Babies retailers helped out in one of these schemes. As a retailer myself for them, I am appalled that one of my colleagues has done this. Shame on all involved.

7. ~happy2Bamommy~ says:

I am an administrator on Diaper Swappers and I was not aware someone on our site was involved in something like this. I’d very much like their user name so I can look into their account. My user ID on DS is ~happy2Bamommy~

8. mamaurbana says:

That’s really terrible – I had some 3.0s replaced and was really satisfied with the service and thankful we had chosen BumGenius so we had the benefit of a good warranty. I’m sad that anyone would take advantage!

9. Brittany H. says:

Wow people! Stop abusing companies that are trying to help us out!

10. Jenn says:

What a shame. I feel sorry for retailers and manufacturers who are trying to earn a decent living….

11. Robin Karasinski says:

absolutely ridiculous! it’s people like that that cause problems for everyone else who have TRUE claims. My friend has her own diaper making business and a lady made a huge custom order, paid and then said she never recieved them (eventhough Delivery Confirmation said she had). My friend spent many hours on the phone with the post office trying to figure out what the problem was. She was asked for a refund and was about to do so when she decided to Google her business name first. Good thing she did because she seen the woman had recieved them and listed them on diaper swappers for sale =/ It is AMAZING what people will do! SO SAD =(

• A small work at home mom?! This is infuriating. I hope you turned her in to the moderators so they could shut her down.

People like that can make the difference between someone being able to pay their mortgage and being forced to miss a payment.

I’m sorry she went through that.

12. Autumn Beck says:

Ridiculous. I don’t get why people would risk much for diapers :(

13. Carolyn says:

Wow. That is horrible. I have been using your products for almost 5 years now and have had some of my 2.0 and 3.0s replaced due to fraying hook and loop. You were so quick to get my diapers replaced. I’m so sad to hear that there were people out there who abused your great warranty and end up stealing so much product from you. It is just so, so wrong.

14. I think I was a victim of diaper fraud…my mom bought “NWT shells” on Ebay as a shower gift for me and of course the elastic went out in all of them within two months. I called the company and they said I could return the diapers for an exchange with the reciept. So my mom emailed me the receipt, I put them in the mail and waited. The company said that the warrenty doesn’t apply to these diapers(although they are their diapers) because they were purchased from an unlicsened dealer. So my mom spent $99 on diapers the I can’t use. HOrribly Bummed. That was a big portion of my stash!

15. Hannah says:

Wow. Just wow. Unbelievable. I am so sorry that you have had to deal with this. We absolutely love your company and your business ethic, and we recommend you to all our friends with little ones in diapers.

16. Sara says:

That is frustrating and sad. It’s also incredibly selfish of those people who commit fraud. It’s really just a form of theft, which raises the prices (understandably) for all of us who are honest, paying customers. I used to work for L.L. Bean, and I have to say, it seems people always try to rip off the companies with the best customer service and guarantees. It really is unfortunate because we all end up paying for it in the end. I am glad to hear that at least some of these people got what was coming to them!

17. Rita says:

Gosh, and to think I was feeling “guilty” for sending a handful of frayed 3.0 h&l diapers in legally at the 11-month mark! (Love those 4.0 snaps, though!! Thanks for standing behind your products for those of us who use and love your products!!)

18. Ugh. That’s ridiculous. It is disgusting what some people will do just to make some extra $. Seriously, what amount of money is worth your integrity?

19. Christina says:

I can’t believe that people do this! Is it really worth the risk of going to jail?

20. Jennifer says:

I am so tired of hearing about people trying to screw the system for their own benefit. It makes things so much harder for those people who actuaaly use cloth diapers and have a legitimate problem or return! 300 diapers, that is crazy!

21. Tina Dunk says:

What a mess! I’m glad that its being addressed. I’ve had to replace diapers in the past and the entire process was a breeze, since I bought direct and followed the easy instructions. The idiots that try to take advantage of this great warranty should have to change 5 dirty diapers for every one they tried to return, and with NO diaper sprayer!

22. Suzy says:

It amazes me that people even scheme up something like this!!! I mean, this would have never even crossed my mind as a possibility… what kind of minds do these people have?!?!

23. Oh my gosh!!! That is awful! People are CRAZY! wow!!

24. Judy says:

It seems you just can’t trust anyone these days…which is why the honest people pay the price. I am thankful for your customer service. I ordered 6 diapers last year (at buy 2 get 1 free), but only 3 came in the mail. I was worried that you wouldn’t believe me, but your rep was fantastic. She asked me just a couple of questions that I was able to answer by looking at the invoice and within a week the remainder showed up. It’s unfortunate that the companies with such great policies and service are the ones that get taken advantage of.

25. Kristen R says:

How aweful!

26. Cindy Beard says:

It is so sad that people do this. When someone presents their case in an angry way, I’m immediately suspect! I’ve sold and bought used diapers online and I’m always a bit scared of fraud when I do. There is just so much of it out there. I can’t stand dealing with liars and cheaters! I’ve also dealt with your customer service in the past 18 months and the person I dealt with was VERY nice! So sorry that you are having this problem! Every one will have to account for their actions one day…..

27. Ciuce13 says:

Such a shame that it took such a long time (300 returns & 100 returns – WOW!!) for these excessive abuses to be caught! It makes me sick to think that people are so dishonest. Thank you for sharing so all can be more careful.

28. Molly says:

I am sorry to hear that it took over 300 diapers before someone caught on.

29. Bethany says:

Thanks for sharing. I hope this will not change anything in your warranty policy. Because of your great warranty and customer service, I was able to get a couple replacement diapers due to the landing strip detaching. I love that Cotton Babies stands behind their products!

30. Jill says:

This is horrible! I’ve used the return on H&L that frayed within the first year, and also got replacement h&l for some others that I was still using, turned out my mom sewed it on for the next baby, and we’re using them right now! I have one that had a snap catch in the dryer, but it’s not within the year so I’m just going to get someone to fix it for me. I find it so hard to believe that someone would do something like that.

31. Katie says:

So sad this happens! We love your products! Keep up the great work!

32. wow !!! this is horrible to read and to know that someone would do this!! your company is great and you do so much for moms Jen! thank you so much for putting this out there!!

33. Sheri says:

You make great products, and I am so sad that people would do this. Thank you for being conscientious bout posting this, I think it needed to be said. As another poster said, I’ve had nothing but great experiences with you as well!

34. Johanna Griffin says:

Wow. It never fails. People can be so grimy and its so unfortunate they are parents. Ive had issues with my diapers and your c/s went above and beyond to help me out. Im sorry people are out there taking advantage of that. I hope this doesnt change your quality of service.

35. that us so unfortunate that a few bad people have made you have to look at every return as a possible fraudulent claim. I work in retail and unfortunately every return that is made has to be questioned too. because of a few bad apples.

36. Libby says:

How disappointing. I’ve been using your pockets for over 4 years straight now, and you guys were great when I had obviously defective H&L on one of my diapers, and at also providing new wash tabs. Your c/s is fantastic and I am sorry that you’ve been taken advantage of in this scenario.

37. Hester says:

that is just sick. So sorry this is happening. I will share this with my retailer so she is warned!